Technical Support - Detail
Updated on November 7, 2018:
This article applies to Skype Desktop app for Windows, version 8, downloaded from Skype.com, and not the Microsoft Store app.
To find out whether you have the Microsoft Store app or the Desktop app, or both:
- Press the WINDOWS key to open the Start menu.
- Type “Skype”.
- Arrow down the list of results and each will be announced, for example, “Skype: Trusted Microsoft Store app”, or “Skype: Desktop app”.
To find out the Skype Desktop version you are running:
- Make sure JAWS or Fusion is running.
- Open the Skype Desktop app.
- Press JAWSkey+CTRL+V.
- In order to use the solution included in this article for answering Skype 8 calls, “Skype version 8.xx” should be announced and not “Microsoft Skype app version 12”.
Instructions to download Skype 8 are included at the end of this article.
If you have determined that you are using the Skype Desktop app version 8.xx, then read on to find out the easiest way to answer incoming Skype calls.
With Skype 7 or earlier, users have typically set up a global shortcut key to easily answer an incoming Skype call. This global shortcut key would both open the Skype window and answer the incoming call. Unfortunately, Skype 8 does not have this capability. So, the easiest solution is to create a shortcut to quickly open Skype 8, and then use an existing Skype shortcut key to answer an incoming call.
We have provided instructions for this below.
Create a shortcut to open Skype 8:
- Navigate to the Skype icon on the desktop, then press ALT+ENTER.
- The “Skype Properties” dialog box opens on the shortcut page.
- Press TAB to navigate to the shortcut key edit box and type the letter you’d like to use for the shortcut, such as “s”.
- Press ENTER or select OK.
Now use the new shortcut key, CTRL+ALT+S, or whatever letter you selected to open Skype.
To answer a Skype call:
- Open Skype with the new shortcut key combination.
- Press CTRL+SHIFT+P to answer the call. You can also press TAB to navigate to one of the answer buttons and then press SPACEBAR.
NOTE: For a complete list of Skype 8 shortcut keys, go to Skype 8 Keyboard Shortcuts.
To download the Skype 8 Desktop App for Windows from the Skype web site:
- Open the Skype 8 Download Page.
- Use the heading shortcut key, “H” to navigate to “Download Skype”.
- Press TAB until you’ve navigated to the “Get Skype for Windows” link, and then press ENTER.
Date Posted: 08/08/2018
Applies to: JAWS, ZoomText, Fusion, Optelec, Enhanced Vision and MAGic