Getting Started with JAWS
If you are new to JAWS and wondering where to start, the Basic Training lessons on this page will teach you how to begin using some of the more commonly used JAWS features. Each module takes you step-by-step through performing many common tasks including starting JAWS, adjusting speech, reading documents, browsing the Internet, and much more. As you work through a lesson, try using the various features on your computer as the instructor demonstrates them.
The JAWS Basic Training is available in DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) format and contains both text and audio. You can read it using the FSReader DAISY reader included with JAWS or using any hardware DAISY player. For your convenience, the Basic Training is also available as MP3 audio files if you would prefer to listen to the training on an MP3 player or another device.
The files in this section install to the proper location for FSReader DAISY reader when using JAWS. Once they are installed, press INSERT+J to open the JAWS application window, press ALT+H to open the Help menu, press DOWN ARROW to move to Training, and press ENTER. FSReader opens and places you in the Training Table of Contents. Use the ARROW keys to locate the book you want to read and press ENTER to open it.
Note: The Basic Training for JAWS is generic, and is not specific to any particular version. The lessons teach concepts and as time goes on, both JAWS and Windows will change. Also, your computer, as well as your version of JAWS, may be configured differently than the ones used in the Basic Training. Therefore what you hear on your computer could vary slightly from what you hear in the Basic Training. You should be able to follow along just fine even if there are some slight differences.
- 1 JAWS Basic Training Introduction and Overview (DAISY)
- 2 Starting JAWS, Setting Up Hot Keys, Startup Wizard (DAISY)
- 3 User Interface and Program Group (DAISY)
- 4 Reading Commands and Cursors (DAISY)
- 5 Help, Online, Screen Sensitive, and Keyboard (DAISY)
- 6 Saving Settings (DAISY)
- 7 Cut, Copy, Paste, Spell Check, and Find and Replace - HJPad Exercises (DAISY)
- 8 File Explorer and the Recycle Bin (DAISY)
- 9 Surf's Up, Surfing the Internet (DAISY)
These MP3 files are packaged within ZIP files for downloading. After downloading them, you may extract them to any location on your computer.
- 1 JAWS Basic Training Introduction and Overview (MP3)
- 2 Starting JAWS, Setting Up Hot Keys, Startup Wizard (MP3)
- 3 User Interface and Program Group (MP3)
- 4 Reading Commands and Cursors (MP3)
- 5 Help, Online, Screen Sensitive, and Keyboard (MP3)
- 6 Saving Settings (MP3)
- 7 Cut, Copy, Paste, Spell Check, and Find and Replace - HJPad Exercises (MP3)
- 8 File Explorer and Recycle Bin (MP3)
- 9 Surf's Up, Surfing the Internet (MP3)