Vispero is the world's leading assistive technology provider for the visually impaired and owner of the brands Ai Squared, Enhanced Vision, Freedom Scientific, Optelec, The Paciello Group and Interactive Accessibility. All the Vispero brands have a long history of developing and providing innovative solutions for blind and low vision individuals, helping them to reach their full potential.
The position of a Software Engineer – Accessibility Technology provides maintenance and enhancement of our screen reading and magnification engine in Windows.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who is diligent and quality oriented while being able to meet target dates. You must be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
In the changing Windows environment and developing market place it is essential to provide a stable, performant, and exciting screen reading and magnification experience for users with vision impairments. In this position you will maintain, improve, and drive forward essential screen reading and/or magnification technologies.
- Consults with Product Managers and software engineers to gather information about program intent, using that information to design and implement new product features
- Writes product specifications based on consultations with manager and product managers
- Creates software design based on specifications and consultation with manager, product managers, other programmers, and end users
- Codifies necessary changes in high-level software to provide required functionality
- Creates tests to find errors and confirm the software meets specifications
- Analyzes code to find causes of errors and revises programs
- Writes and maintains documentation of designs and changes to software
- Reviews user and technical documentation written by others to confirm consistency with program operations
- Reviews program for correction, enhancements, or system environment changes
- Coordinates with other programmers about program revisions
- Modifies and maintains software programs written by others
- May lead software projects and small teams of software engineers
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively with others via email, Skype, phone and in-person
- Self-Motivated - Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one’s ability using his or her own drive or initiative
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions
Skills and Abilities
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent, and one or more years related experience and/or training
- Object Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Visual C++
- Writing and debugging multithreaded code
- Debugging and analyzing assembly code
- HLSL and/or assembly language
Strong understanding of the internal works of the Windows operating system Windows 7, 8 and 10 for the following components:
- Windows SDK
- COM interfaces
- Application Document Object Models (DOM)
- DirectX, DirectWrite, and/or Direct Composition
- Windows 7 mirror driver, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), and/or Windows Desktop Window Manager
Send resume to email@example.com or fax to 727-803-8014.
Remote Position to Cover the West Coast - Hours 9:30 AM-6:00 PM PST
Vispero™ is the leading worldwide provider of assistive technology products, dedicated to improving the lives of individuals with visual impairments and learning disabilities. Our innovative technology is designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision users the same access to information as their sighted peers. Based in St. Petersburg, Florida, our team is passionate about what we do and committed to the communities that we serve.
Provide timely, courteous and expert support to Vispero's customers who need assistance with Vispero's solutions for the blind and vision impaired customers including JAWS, ZoomText and other Vispero software solutions, braille display hardware, and various hardware readers and magnifiers for low-vision users. Perform troubleshooting and triage by phone, email and remote access. Determine and implement corrective actions that may include training, online assistance, providing workarounds, and handling product updates or replacements as appropriate.
The successful candidate will be able to use a braille display to read braille content for all types of files and online information and will be able to use an industry leading screen reader to "read" all types of files and online information via audio output.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Respond to user inquiries regarding installation, configuration and operation of Vispero software and hardware products to resolve problems for Vispero dealers, end-users and other customers
- Maintain records of daily customer communication transactions, problems and remedial actions taken, or installation activities and enter all details in Vispero call tracking system
- Read technical manuals and other online resources, confer with users, and conduct product diagnostics to investigate or gain remote access to customer systems to resolve problems or to provide technical assistance and support by phone or other online access
- Confer with staff, users, and management to obtain technical information and confirm recommended response and recovery actions
- Develop materials and procedures, train users in the proper use of applications or hardware devices
- Perform various tasks including:
- Adjust firmware, OS, application software
- Conduct product diagnostics to determine nature of problems
- Install Firmware, OS, application software
- Install hardware, software, or peripheral equipment
- Take calls from customers and respond quickly to their questions or requests for problem resolution
- Use computers to enter, access or retrieve data for call tracking, problem analysis, etc.
- Use support call tracking software applications
- Associate or Bachelor Degree in Technical or related field
- 3-5 years relevant experience
- Must have excellent working knowledge of Vispero products including: JAWS, ZoomText and other Vispero software solutions, braille display hardware, and various hardware readers and magnifiers for low-vision users
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 727-803-8014.