FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Freedom Scientific Announces a New Classroom Solution to Its ONYX Camera Line
Introducing the Compact, Go Anywhere ONYX Deskset 17(St. Petersburg, Florida - August 07, 2007)
Freedom Scientific today introduced the ONYX Deskset 17 featuring the powerful ONYX camera mounted on a rotating arm to a 17-inch flat panel monitor. The ONYX Deskset 17 provides low vision users with ultra-sharp auto-focused viewing in distance, intermediate, and up-close magnification, all in a portable package that is extremely easy to use.
The ONYX Deskset 17 produces exactingly clear magnification of up to 85 times and offers three distinct viewing modes: distance views, document views, and self views. In the distance mode, even objects from across large rooms or auditoriums can be seen in sharp focus. The document mode gives users the ability to magnify items such as classroom assignments, reading materials, merchandise labels, or craft projects. With the self view, users get a magnified true mirror image close up.
The camera's rotating arm has three axes, and the camera itself rotates up to 350 degrees, enabling users to place it in an almost endless number of positions to fit any viewing situation. The camera can be mounted, interchangeably, on either side of the monitor to best accommodate the user and the task at hand."The ONYX Deskset 17 is an ideal classroom low vision solution," said Brad Davis, Vice President of Freedom Scientific. "Auto Focus allows a student to quickly view the teacher, a whiteboard, other students, wall maps, visual aids, even look out the window like other students do. The ONYX remembers its settings based on the camera's orientation, so students can seamlessly move from viewing the teacher to reading or writing and back again without the need for any readjustments."
The key features of the ONYX Deskset 17 include:
- A choice of full color, enhanced black on white positive, enhanced white on black negative, or an inverse color mode that can be used to enhance contrast without losing fine details
- An integrated handle and fold-away camera and arm for easy portability
- A full range of brightness adjustments to eliminate glare and to enable viewing in low light environments
- Masking and Reading Lines
- Find feature with crosshairs that zooms out to quickly aim the camera before zooming back in
- Focus Lock to keep an object or document in focus when working or writing under the camera
- Freeze Frame to provide ample time to carefully review or inspect images
- The unique, pocket-sized RF remote control – unlike typical infrared remote control units – does not need to be pointed at the camera
Pricing and Availability
The ONYX Deskset 17 sells for $2,595 and is shipping now – in time for the new school year. For complete product specifications, visit www.LowVisionSolutions.com or contact Freedom Scientific at 800-444-4443 or 727-803-8000.
About Freedom Scientific
Freedom Scientific is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. Freedom Scientific is part of Vispero™. Vispero has its headquarters in the USA and the Netherlands, and offices in Switzerland, Belgium, Canada, Germany and the United Kingdom. Through Vispero's multi-tier distribution, Freedom Scientific products are available in more than 70 countries worldwide.
Freedom Scientific® and its products are registered trademarks in the United States and/or other countries. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.