FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Back to School with a New Portable Video Magnifier
Freedom Scientific’s ONYX Deskset XL Designed for the Classroom(St. Petersburg, Florida - August 26, 2009)
Freedom Scientific today announced the latest addition to its popular ONYX® line of portable video magnifiers – the ONYX Deskset XL, featuring versatility not found in any other video magnifier today.
The camera mounting system is unique:
- The low vision camera is mounted on an arm that telescopes to lift the camera so that it is easy to focus on the whiteboard or the teacher in the front of the room
- The mounting arm has three axes. It swings in a 350 degree arc, and the camera rotates 350 degrees on the end of the arm to look in any direction.
- The camera can be focused on the desktop directly in front of the user or moved to the side of the monitor to increase the work area
The monitor mounting system is unique:
- The unit comes with either a 17-inch or 19-inch monitor
- The monitor can be raised, lowered, or tilted to the most comfortable position
The RF remote control is unique:
- The user can zoom in and out and adjust brightness without touching or shaking the camera
- There is no need to aim the remote control as with infrared
- The Find feature puts crosshairs on the screen to assist aiming at distant objects
- The image can be flipped to provide a mirror image for self viewing, or to provide a right side up view independent of the camera position
- The user can lock focus, freeze the frame, add masks and reading lines, view images in full color, or select one of four enhanced modes for reading text:
- White on black
- Yellow on blue
- Yellow on black
"This design is based on input we've received from teachers and students alike to create an ideal classroom low vision solution," said Brad Davis, Vice President of Freedom Scientific. "The rotating arm and auto focus camera let a student quickly view the teacher, a whiteboard, other students, wall maps, visual aids, even look out the window like other students do. The camera just as quickly flips down to magnify reading material or notes in front of the monitor. The unit has a compact footprint to accommodate lecture hall seating, but the camera arm can also cover a large work area to the side when working on projects or with multiple reference materials. The extended arm makes for plenty of workspace under the camera, and the monitor can be raised or lowered and tilted to the most comfortable position, yet the entire unit readily collapses to fit into its lightweight rolling case for transport."
The ONYX Deskset XL produces exactingly clear magnification of up to 71 times and offers three distinct viewing modes: distance view, document view, and self view. In the distance mode, even objects from across large rooms or auditoriums can be seen in sharp focus. The document mode gives users the ability to magnify items such as classroom assignments, reading materials, merchandise labels, or craft projects. With the self view, users get a magnified true mirror image close up.
To learn more about the many features of the ONYX Deskset XL and the full line of ONYX low vision solutions go to ONYX portable video magnifiers.
Pricing and Availability
The ONYX Deskset XL is shipping now – in time for the new school year. The 17-inch model sells for $2,595, and the 19-inch model is $2,795. For complete product specifications, visit the ONYX Deskset Web page or contact Freedom Scientific at 800-444-4443 or 727-803-8000.
About Freedom Scientific
Freedom Scientific is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. Freedom Scientific is part of Vispero™. Vispero has its headquarters in the USA and the Netherlands, and offices in Switzerland, Belgium, Canada, Germany and the United Kingdom. Through Vispero's multi-tier distribution, Freedom Scientific products are available in more than 70 countries worldwide.
Freedom Scientific® and its products are registered trademarks in the United States and/or other countries. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.